I'm taking a few days off later this week to do a couple of projects around the house and to get my Medium Fast Man ready for school.
I asked him the other morning if he wanted to go with me to do school shopping. He's not a big shopper, but hey - I can offer. He needs long pants, maybe a sweater or hoodie, a fall jacket -- nothing major. "We could go to Old Navy, Kohl's, Target, Sears..." I trailed off. "Where else?"
"I like Target. Or Macy's," he said with authority.
"Macy's or Target, huh?" I asked.
"Yeah," he said. "That's where you shop for school."
"Well OK then," I said, wondering why he'd chosen those stores. Of course Target wasn't a surprise - Target is kind of our family happy place, with everything we might need or want under one roof. Macy's though, Macy's I had to think about. I shop there every so often - once around Christmas, and usually a couple of times a year for work clothes. But it's not like I'm there on a regular basis, and I almost never take the kids with me when I go.
Then I remembered last fall, when he and I took a mom-and-son shopping trip to the mall. We hit the Gap, and Von Maur, and Stride Rite too if I remember right. Maybe even Sears. But we ended up getting most of our haul at Macy's (they had a good sale that weekend). Guess we'll see what they have on offer later this week.
Also on my list:
- wash lunch bags and organize the lunch-packing gear
- plan a couple of new, fun and tasty kids lunches (in other words, get out of the pb&j rut)
- make some smoothie packets to simplify breakfasts the first month
- go through dresser drawers and get rid of outgrown, holey, or otherwise unsuitable socks and undies; replace if necessary
- weed out some of the kids books to make room for new
- create some sort of 1st grade homework binder, mostly for me so I don't miss things like projects
Jon and I also want to do a little DIY around the house over the weekend - paint a room, or rip out something almond and replace it. I don't know yet, we'll see how ambitious we feel come Friday night. I have two goals for myself - to upgrade the kitchen island with paint and butcherblock, and to work on Bel's room. If we get more than that done, great!
Tuesday after Labor Day is the big First Day. Bel will get dropped off in Preschool, and Otto will start first grade. Amazing how quickly that happens!