1. put away Otto's stuff
2. check in at the computer at the office
3. walk back to baby room with Annabel
4. play with baby toys while mom puts away Annabel's stuff
5. pick out a toy for Annabel, make sure she's settled
6. leave baby room for Otto's room
7. hug mom (or not) and join the activities in the preschool room
This morning he skipped steps 4 and 5, which completely freaked him out. He was busy talking to another teacher instead. He cried - oh, how he cried! - when he realized he'd missed baby room time. So Miss Leslie, who usually works in the office, offered to take him back to visit Annabel later in the day. He was thrilled, and Annabel thought it was pretty cool, too.
And then Leslie took pictures and sent them to me. I heart Miss Leslie.
She also sent me an Otto-ism. She was explaining to him that the owners, Kay and Roy, were her mom and dad. Otto was pretty amazed, as most of the kids are when they realize Leslie and the owners are related. Then Otto asked a very Otto question: "Why is Mr. Roy your dad?"
Ah, the questions that cannot be answered. Not easily, at least. Leslie said "Mr. Roy is my daddy the same way Jon is your daddy," and Otto said "Oh! OK, dads come in all sorts of shapes and sizes!"
It's so good to know I'm not the only one getting stumped by the why questions. I love them, but boy, it keeps you on your toes!